Applying for a passport is no longer the bummer it used to be, thanks to the government. Thinking of passport application or passport renewal in India? Passport application in India is now straightforward and convenient. You can apply for a fresh passport or renew your existing passport online on the Passport Seva Portal – an exhaustive and user-friendly site. The Application system on the Passport Seva portal allows you to complete your online registration, submit the online application form and schedule an appointment for an in-person visit to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) in your city.
It can be very daunting for people doing this entirely by themselves with no supervision or guidance. Thankfully, you don’t have to worry. MacroTraveller has put a comprehensive ‘how-to’ guide on everything you need to know to successfully and painlessly get yourself a passport.
Why do you need a passport?
Traveling within India does not require a passport. You need a passport to travel to any country outside India. Note, you should have at least six months validity on your passport before your travel date – that is essential for visa applications/ immigration.
For beginners, a passport is a form of identification issued to Indian citizens that enables a person to travel abroad. Besides, it is also used as a proof of Indian citizenship and can be used to get documentation like the Pan Card and Aadhaar Card. Therefore, even if you don’t plan on traveling abroad anytime soon, it makes good sense to have a passport.
What documents or proofs required applying for a new passport?
You need to carry the following documents to apply for a new or fresh passport.
- Normal application – Proof of Date of Birth and Proof of Present Address.
- Tatkal application – Apart from the Proof of Date of Birth and Proof of Present Address, a few additional documents are required as well.
Important Documents Needed for a new Passport:
- Proof of Date of Birth and Citizenship.
- An HR certificate on the letterhead, or a Bonafide Certificate from the School/College.
- Electricity bill, Gas connection bill, Telephone bill or Water bill in your name with valid address proof.
- Bank account statement, Voter ID card.
- In case of a married person, one can attach spouse’s passport copy, and in case of a bachelor, one can attach parent’s passport copy.
What is the process to apply for a new passport/ renew my passport?
- Visit the Passport Seva website.
- Register yourself as a new user, get the User ID, fill in your user details and Register. Having an e-mail ID is mandatory as the registration confirmation mail will be sent to the e-mail ID.
- Login to the Passport Seva website with your User ID and password.
- Select the first option – Apply for Fresh Passport/ Reissue of Passport.
- You can fill the Application form directly online – or – download the e -Form to fill it offline and upload later.
Schedule the appointment for an in-person visit to the PSK in your city. You need to make the application payment, in order to get the appointment. Click Pay and Book appointment. The earliest available appointment will be displayed on the screen. After making the payment through a mode of your convenience, your PSK appointment will be confirmed.
For more details/ screenshots of the process, refer to the guide on Steps to Apply for Passport.
Once the payment has been processed, you will get an Appointment Confirmation and an Appointment Number. There will be a button on the bottom of the page that states – Print Application Receipt. Click it and print it out.
Visit the designated Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) – With your passport application appointment booked, visit the PSK on the appointment day to complete the application procedure. Check the timings and plan to reach in time. Carry originals and self-attested photocopies. At the PSK, your passport application gets processed, verified and finally cleared for an issue. The PSK have all amenities for your comfort including photocopying machines, self-service kiosks, food and beverage counters etc. The Electronic Queue Management System facilitates ‘first-in-first-out’ principle for passport application processing.
#MacroTravellerTip: Don’t carry electronic items like cameras. And also make sure there aren’t any dangerous objects in your person. They are not allowed inside the PSK.
Once all the documents are processed, you will be provided an acknowledgment receipt.
For screenshots/ more details, refer to the guide on Steps to Submit an Application at PSK.
Normal Quota and Tatkal Quota
Typically, it takes 8 business days to get an appointment at the nearest Passport Seva Kendra. If all the formalities are processed, it takes around 3 more weeks for the passport to reach the applicant. Under the Tatkal system, the passport is dispatched strictly within 3 business days.
Can I track my passport status?
- Yes! You can now check real-time status on the progress of your application.
- Visit the Passport Seva website.
- Click ‘Track Application Status’, select Application Status option, and enter your file number and date of birth.
- The latest status will be displayed on the screen.
- For any information on Passport services, call at 1800-258-1800 (Toll-Free)
And that’s it! Congratulations! Now you can travel anywhere in the world as long as you have the right visas in place. Wish you an amazing holiday!