Singapore is one of the world’s developed country has a lot to offer to its tourists. Be it high rise buildings or adventure trails. But one thing that it offers for nature lovers is its bird park. Jurong Bird Park is one of the biggest bird parks in South East Asia. Home to over 5000 birds from 400 different species this bird park offers a perfect place for nature photography. Being a developed country with many skyscrapers this park offers closeness to nature and greenery with birds chirping and which soothes your mind. Opened in 1971 this place is visited as many as over 9 lakh tourists every year.
Jurong Bird Park is open from 08:30 to 18:00hrs every day. To get to this park you can take MRT on Green Line, deboard on Boon Lay and hop on to Bus 194. If you want to travel by bus you can choose to try Safari Bus which is of a nominal fee that provides service from Suntec City or from Singapore Flyer.
Jurong Bird Park offers its visitors many places to visit, dine or explore the place. However, some places stand out of the rest such as:
- King of the Skies: This place offers visitors to view some of the majestic birds such as Hawks, Falcons, Eagle s etc. Open from 10:00hrs to 16:00hrs King of Skies has most of the predatory birds and there will be shows every day at 10:00 and 16:00hrs where you can see how these birds of prey attack and if you want to try adventure here then you can be part of falconry experience at this park.
Penguin Coast: Witness the arctic creatures in full swing at this coast where you can notice King penguins, African penguin, Humboldt penguin etc. This enclosure has 30-meter wide glass to view these birds and is temperature-controlled so as to fit Penguins natural habitat.
Waterfall Aviary: With 35 meters tall man-made waterfall this place is an abode of Tucaors and other birds which are suited for tropical rainforest kind of habitat. There is a suspended bridge where you can witness the beauty of this bridge. Feeders visit to feed the birds at this place every day at 10:30 and 14:30 where you can speak with them and get to know more about these birds.
- Lory Loft: Featured as Top 10 Best Family experience by Singapore Tourism, Lory Loft is a suspended bridge where you find many Lories and Lorikeets. This place offers 2 feeder towers where you can feed them, you will be surrounded by Lories at this loft where you would be happy and contended after visiting this place.
Hornbill and Toucan Aviary: This place has various species of Hornbill and Toucan spread across 2000sqm. Although both are of different species due to their similar diet and habitat they both are present in a similar section. The main difference between these creatures are hornbill has a horn like substance on its beak whereas toucan does not have any and is plain. They both feed on small birds, insects and fruits.
- Breeding and Research Center: Here you can get to know how these things breed and how they would be adapted to the environment and also dedicated research centre where they would explain to you what is current scenarios of these birds.
Birdz Play Cafe: This is a wet and dry theme bird play area where your kids can learn about 250+ species of birds with its game room and classroom like sections. It’s one of fun and quick way to learn about birds and their habitats, diet and breeding alongside other kids.
Apart from King of the Skies show, there is also High Flyer show where you would notice a large flock of birds forming a rainbow of colours.
Exploring this park can take one full day hence it is necessary for us to have a quick snack or food and explore the park by walk. Hence there are many diners situated inside the premises of Jurong Bird Park. You can Lunch with parrots at Songbird Terrace which is recommended. There are many places offering Singaporean, Indian delicacies. If you want to have something light then there is Ice Cream place at Birdz Play Cafe or a quick cup of coffee at Lory Loft. You can enjoy some salads at the Waterfall Cafe situated near the Waterfall Aviary.
- A) Visit Early for King of the Skies and High Flyers show as the seats are first-come-first serve basis.
- B) Do not feed birds and cross the line meant for visitors, follow the rules.
- C) Separate locker are available at the entrance to keep your things which are not allowed inside the park
- D) Do not use flash to take the pictures as it might be harmful to birds eyes.
- E) Keep hydrated as this place involves exploring by walk.
- F) Dedicated members of Bird Park will be present in every area, you can approach them in case of emergency.